12 more UK towns get EE’s 4G treatment

Jamie Feltham
September 26, 2013

Ever heard of Ashby-de-la-Zouch in Leicestershire? No? Well EE has, and it’s switched on 4G connectivity there and in 11 other UK towns.

Today the 4G specialist brought coverage to the above town along with Beaconsfield, Blackburn, Burton upon Trent, Coalville, Chester-le-Street, Fleet, Gerrards Cross, Halifax, Hinckley, Houghton-le-Spring and Reigate. Phew.

That brings EE’s coverage to a total of 117 towns and cities across the UK. It’s less than a year in and the company already covers over 60 percent of the UK’s population. Expect that remaining 40 percent to decrease rapidly over the course of 2014 – the company plans to be covering 98 percent of the entire country by the year’s end.

Of course, EE is trying to keep ahead of its competitors, which are slowly starting to catch up in the 4G game. Vodaphone and O2 now have 4G networks, if only limited ones at this point in time, and 3 is planning to get in on the action by the end of the year. 4G wars. The future is here.

About the Author

Jamie Feltham

Videogamer, music listener, squash player, exerciser, technology journalister. Multimedia journalism graduate, writing for the What Mobile mag and website

Share this article