Nintendo is rolling out its latest update for its Wii U console today with a focus on speeding up the process of playing games.
The patch (version 5.0.0 U) most notably adds a quick start menu to the GamePad that gives players instant access to their most recently played games and installed software,
The patch also allows for updates to download and install while the system is in standby.
Additionally, the GamePad controller can now thankfully receive push notifications from the system when its battery is running low.
A short video clip detailing the quick boot option can be viewed below. Carry on reading after the jump for Nintendo’s comprehensive run-down of the Wii U update’s new features.
Wii U Version 5.0.0 U, available via an Internet connection, includes the following improvements:
- A Quick Start Menu is now displayed when users press the GamePad POWER Button or HOME Button to power on the Wii U P
- Users can start recently played or newly installed software directly from the Quick Start Menu *1P
- Wii U GamePad Alerts (special notifications from Nintendo) can be displayed on the GamePad when the Wii U is powered down P
- Users will be notified with an audio ringtone when a new GamePad Alert is displayedP
- GamePad Alerts that have been received can also be viewed through the Quick Start Menu*2P
Changes to Standby Functions:
- System updates will now automatically install after download when the Wii U is in StandbyP
Changes to the Wii U Menu:
- The User Settings screen now displays when users select their User Mii from the Wii U MenuP
- The design and layout of the Users Settings screen has been updated P
- This includes the ability to switch the active user from the User Settings screenP
Changes to System Settings:
- Quick Start Menu options have been added to Power Settings P
- Wii U GamePad Alert options are located within the Quick Start Menu optionsP
Changes to the HOME Menu
- A Notification icon is now available on the HOME Menu, allowing users to launch the Notifications feature from the HOME MenuP
Improvements to system stability and usability:
- Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experienceP
(*1)The Quick Start Menu is only displayed when the Wii U GamePad POWER or HOME Buttons are pressed. Other controllers, such as the Wii Remote Plus and Wii U Pro Controller, will continue to power on the Wii U
(*2)Wii U GamePad Alerts are different from the notifications received via the Wii U Notifications feature. Wii U GamePad Alerts settings can be changed via Power Settings located in System Settings.